Tommy DeVito shines, more takeaways from start of Syracuse spring football

Paul Schlesinger | Staff Photographer

Syracuse had a crop of Class of 2020 recruits watch its first day of spring practice.

In front of a crop of 2020 recruits visiting campus, Syracuse football opened spring practices on Sunday.

“That was probably the best ‘star counts’ we’ve had here at Syracuse,” head coach Dino Babers said referencing the group of potential future signees. Among them were four-star wideout Jaden Dottin and defensive lineman Amin Vanover.

Babers also noted Sunday was the best opening day practice he’s seen since coming to SU.

Quarterback Tommy DeVito, now listed as the starter following Eric Dungey’s graduation, looked good in practice, Babers said. At the end of practice, DeVito threw two touchdown passes during nonpadded, 11-on-11 drills — he connected with Taj Harris on a deep ball in the back corner of the end zone on the second.

The other touchdown went to transfer receiver Trishton Jackson. He, along with transfer running back Abdul Adams, are finally on the depth chart after waiting a year and accounting for three touchdowns in SU’s bowl win.

Three defensive backs — Evan Foster, Scoop Bradshaw and Kyle Strickland — wore green non-contact jerseys for practice. Defensive end Jake Pickard did not participate.